Oyster Bay is a founding member of Sustainable Winegrowing New Zealand
Oyster Bay is a founding member of Sustainable Winegrowing New Zealand. In 1996 Oyster Bay joined the Sustainable Winegrowing Programme and now Oyster Bay’s vineyards and wineries are fully accredited and regularly audited by Sustainable Winegrowing New Zealand.
Sustainable Winegrowing New Zealand is an independently audited New Zealand wine industry Sustainability programme.
Sustainable Winegrowing New Zealand was established by the New Zealand Wine Industry body New Zealand Winegrowers. This body, provides the framework for companies to continually work towards improving all aspects of their performance in terms of environmental, social and economic sustainability in both the vineyard and the winery.
Sustainable Winegrowing New Zealand was developed to:
- Provide a “best practice” model of environmentally friendly practices in the vineyard and winery.
- Guarantee better quality assurance from the vineyard through to the bottle.
- Create a framework for viticulture and winemaking practices that protect the environment while efficiently and economically producing premium wine grapes and wine.
- Provide a format of continual improvement to ensure vineyards and wineries operate with a goal of improving their operational practices.
- Act as a vehicle for technology transfer so that companies are kept informed of new technology and its application.
- Provide an audit structure that has integrity and rigour to comply with market expectations.
As members of Sustainable Winegrowers New Zealand, we are
regularly audited for compliance to these international standards. Oyster Bay’s commitment to sustainable wine-growing means that its sustainable practices now exceed the audit requirements of the Sustainable Winegrowing New Zealand programme.
Oyster Bay has in place its own environmental group that meets regularly and provides ongoing business recommendations which continue to reduce adverse environmental impact, encourage efficiency of resources and ongoing
From the design of our state-of-the-art wineries, our viticultural practices and winemaking processes, through to the protection of wetland environments, sustainability is an active and integral part of Oyster Bay’s culture.